Family Law Hub

Home Office change of name guidance for official documents

How the Home Office handles applications to change names on official documents

  • This document contains guidance about how the Home Office handles applications to change names on official documents it issues, such as British passports, Home Office Travel Documents (HODT), biometric residence permits (BRP) and other forms of immigration documentation.

    It sets out the Home Office requirement for individuals to use one name for all official purposes and explains the additional security requirements in place when considering the use of names in the British passport.

    Annex A gives specific information on changing a name in a British passport.

    The guidance was updated on 25 August 2016 and is available on the website here.

Practice note, published: 31/08/2016


Published: 31/08/2016


Copyright in the original legal material published on the Family Law Hub is vested in Mills & Reeve LLP (as per date of publication shown on screen) unless indicated otherwise.


The Family Law Hub website relates to the legal position in England Wales and all of the material within it has been prepared with the aim of providing key information only and does not constitute legal advice in relation to any particular situation. While Mills & Reeve LLP aims to ensure that the information is correct at the date on which it is added to the website, the legal position can change frequently, and content will not always be updated following any relevant changes. You therefore acknowledge and agree that Mills & Reeve LLP and its members and employees accept no liability whatsoever in contract, tort or otherwise for any loss or damage caused by or arising directly or indirectly in connection with any use or reliance on the contents of our website except to the extent that such liability cannot be excluded by law.

Bookmark this item